Georgetown Visitation, founded in 1799, is an all-girls high school rooted in the Roman Catholic faith and Salesian tradition, committed to educating young women from diverse backgrounds. We are a faith-centered community dedicated to educational excellence, enriched by co-curricular and service programs. As a Visitation school, our philosophy of education is animated by the Salesian spirituality of the founders of the Visitation, St. Jane de Chantal and St. Francis de Sales. Their writings radiate an optimism born of the loving hand of God as seen in the beauty of creation and a clear vision of the human person created in the image of God. We guide our students as they integrate the search for truth with the pursuit of knowledge and dedicate their God-given gifts to making the world a better place.
The Director of Christian Service supports this mission by leading Visitation’s student service-learning program. The Director will help Visitation students cultivate a sense of purpose - a commitment to sharing their talents for the betterment of society as they model service, empathy, and humanity and honor the dignity and sacredness of every individual.
The school seeks a Director who is warm and inclusive; has strong organizational skills; is creative and flexible; can work well independently and as part of a team; and inspires and relates well to students. The ideal candidate is a strong supporter of a Catholic, all-girls education and embraces the Salesian mission of “Live Jesus.” As a representative of our school, the Director of Christian Service is a role model for our students.
● Actively supports the mission and Salesian Spirituality of Georgetown Visitation; demonstrates an understanding of and enthusiasm for Catholic, all-girls secondary education
● Researches, evaluates, and schedules Christian service opportunities for students at all grade levels; provides students with a variety of service options with varying agencies and clients; publicizes and encourages students to volunteer for service activities
● Researches and plans appropriate service-learning retreat experiences, both national and international, that enable students to learn about diverse cultures and needs
● Provides ongoing support and pastoral presence to faculty, students, and parents
● Provides support to the theology department and coordinates scheduling, staffing, and supervising service activities; collaborates with the theology department in leading conversations about service-learning curriculum
● Organizes service activities for annual Founders Day celebration
● Actively participates in the Visitation School Network (VSN), which helps Georgetown Visitation embrace Salesian Spirituality and carry Christ to those whom we serve and with whom we work
● Collaborates with the Director of Campus Ministry to offer students and faculty a well-rounded Christian service program that emphasizes the message of the Gospel in a Salesian context and translates learning in the religion classroom into service experiences
● Partners with the Director of Campus Ministry to plan and facilitate all retreats (for students, faculty, staff)
● Works with and encourages students to write service reflections for Living Life, Loving Jesus (a weekly Salesian reflection newsletter)
● Identifies and trains student volunteers for Visitation’s Saturday School program, which provides an engaging Catholic secondary school experience for participating seventh grade girls from the Consortium of Catholic Academies and Washington School for Girls
● Ensures appropriate liability documentation and emergency planning is in place to support student safety while engaging in school-sponsored service experiences, in partnership with the Principal
● Serves as lead chaperone for at least three service retreats annually, to include holiday / summer opportunities
● Schedules appropriate adult supervision at all school-sponsored Christian Service activities
● Collaborates with the Financial Aid Supplement Fund Coordinator to assist students in financing departmental activities
● Develops and maintains a tracking system for all service hours utilizing our existing software database system
● Oversees the budget for the Christian Service Office
● Performs other duties as assigned
● Bachelor’s degree in theology, religious education, or a related field required; Master’s degree preferred
● Minimum of five years of relevant experience in Catholic schools required
● Good organizational skills, good written and oral communication skills
● Proficient in internet, database, and word-processing programs
· Ability to talk; finger; grasp; sit for extended periods of time; and repetitive motion
· Sedentary work: possibly exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry or otherwise move objects
· Ability to move around campus and into several non-ADA compliant buildings
· Working conditions: this position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions
As a condition of employment, all employees who are employed with the school are required to be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and able to provide proof of such vaccination. To apply for a medical exemption, please contact the human resources department.
Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to their age, color, disability status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion, sex, veteran status, or any other class protected by state or federal law. As a Catholic school, Georgetown Visitation Preparatory School reserves the right to use religion as a hiring criterion for selected positions, as permitted by law. Employment offers are contingent on the satisfactory outcome of a standard background screening.
To apply, please click here.